Our next In Conversation
Join us at Manchester Museum on 12th October 2023 for our next
In Conversation event for members. The conference will also include our annual brief AGM when we will welcome new members to our board. Places are limited, so why not book today?
This year’s theme is Museums – Places for Everyone and will look at museums’ civic role.
- How can museums create a public facing visitor experience that inspires and involves people?
- How can they tackle difficult exhibits and challenging and contested stories?
- How can they ensure everyone feels welcome and safe?
- How can they feel lively, relevant and truly connected to the concerns of their communities
Speakers and subjects include:
- Welcome from Manchester Museum
- Lynda Jackson, Museum Manager & Lela Harris, artist, Judges Lodgings Museum, Lancaster (Lancashire County Council) on Facing the Past which explores the provenance of the museum’s collections which had strong links to slavery in a project which included partnerships with two universities, and three local primary schools.
- James Arnold, History Curator at the Harris Museum, Art Gallery & Library (Preston City Council), exploring how the Harris has built a relationship with Preston’s Caribbean community to co-curate a display telling their story in their own words, as part of the museum’s £16m refurbishment.
- Amy Wilkinson, Heritage Officer at Englesea Brook Chapel & Museum of Primitive Methodism in Crewe, on joint working with the probation service to create a touring exhibition and website.
- Jez Dolan, artist, whose current exhibition (Un)defining Queer is on show at the Whitworth, and Dominic Bilton, University of Leeds, who leads the Queering the Whitworth initiative, on queering the museum.
- Heather Smith, National Trust, on the Everywhere and Nowhere collaboration with University of Leicester to explore previously unknown stories of disability across National Trust sites.
- Felicity Paynter, Interpretation Manager, and Ruby Duncan, Exhibitions Intern, Science & Industry Museum, Manchester, on creating expression points for exhibitions: encouraging discussion about difficult subjects.
- Our brief annual AGM, welcoming new board members
Contact us if you have a query or would like to talk to us about this event.